Okay, so I promised a post about Dad's surgery and how interesting my life was early last week. Dad's surgery was planned for Tuesday, September 11th. He was scheduled to have a complete thyroidectomy. On Monday, after I got home from school, Mom told me that she'd just found out that both of Dad's parents were in the hospital (they live about 1.5 hours north of here). My grandma had a kidney infection and was really sick (103 fever). My grandpa had called the ambulance to come and get Grandma. He was supposed to follow the ambulance to the hospital, but instead he drove to my aunt's house (in their town). When he got there he passed out and fell down in their driveway. My aunt heard her dog barking and then she saw headlights shining in her windows. When she went outside she found Grandpa. My uncle took Grandpa to the hospital and they were both admitted (he was having some blood pressure issues). By Monday, my aunt was really overwhealmed and was needing some help. I volunteered to go up and sit with them at the hospital on Tuesday after Dad's surgery. I went to work on Monday night and by the time I got off work and to bed it was 12:30 AM. Then, it was up at 4:30 in the morning so I could go with Mom and Dad to the hospital for Dad's surgery. I was so grateful that Kaylea and her parents came at about 7:00. It's so much less stressful to wait when you have friends to wait with. Dad's surgery went really well, with the initial reports came back showing no malignancy, and he still had a voice! Kaylea went with me on the drive up to see my grandparents and that was such a blessing. I was worried about driving 1.5 hours each way on so little sleep. Add to that the fact that I had a test in my physiology class that I hadn't really started to study for yet, and I was just a little stressed out. Friends are so great to have in times like that!! On the drive up we ended up listening to a whole bunch of funny ringtones you could get for your cell phone. I'm not the type to spend my money on really frivalous things like special ringtones, but I was tired and there was this one that was so funny . . . and so me!! So now, if you call my cellphone Larry the Cucumber starts to sing, "O where is my hairbrush? O where is my hairbrush? . . . ."
Meanwhile . . . back at the ranch (I mean hospital) . . . . Dad was laying in recovery because they didn't have any rooms available. I think they said was in recovery for 5 hours because there were just no hospital rooms available. They finally were able to get a room and he spent Tuesday night at the hospital and was able to come home Wednesday afternoon.
So, life has calmed down substantially since Tuesday. Dad is home and recovering and Grandma and Grandpa have been moved to a nursing home for a while to recover. Hopefully we will not have anymore excitement for a while. But, in this family, I wouldn't count on it . . . :)
2 comments:
Sounds so hectic!! I pray that everyone does better this next week.
how boring to have such an unhetic life again. I kind of like boring, don't you?
Post a Comment