Monday, December 22, 2008

Pinning Ceremony

Okay, here is the post you've been waiting for Grandma!! Sorry it has taken me so long to get this done.

It started out like "one of those" days: I had 35 CDs to burn @ 5-6 minutes a piece (I needed 3.5 hours of just burning CDs), had to iron my dress, pack stuff for the reception, shower, and leave by 12:15 for pinning rehearsal. I was overwhelmed and quickly realized that I was going to have to practice being purposefully kind to those around me (especially since they were all being really nice - I was just feeling jumpy). My family was so amazing!! Dad, Jonathan, and Josiah all helped me burn CDs, Rush helped me pack up stuff for the reception, mom encouraged me through the morning. Mid-morning the unthinkable happened. I still cannot believe it. I started to iron my dress and I burned it!! After I quickly removed the iron from the dress and listened to the black material sizzle on the iron, I walked stupefied into the living room and squeaked, "Rush, come here. I need moral support". When I called Mom, the smoke alarm was going off. Best we can figure out, the iron malfunctioned. Later in the morning when Mom was trying to clean the iron, she couldn't get it off even with a Brillo pad. We thought that maybe if we heated the iron a little it would scrub off more easily. The iron would not heat up at all! Needless to say, Wal-Mart received our business that morning when Mom purchased a new iron. Although I wasn't sure if the dress looked alright, everyone who looked at it said that it wasn't all that noticeable. Thankfully it had black lining material underneath and so the burned out places just looked like a wrinkle in the back of the dress.




Before the ceremony started all the students had their picture taken together. It was quite difficult getting everyone where they could be seen by the photographer on the floor! Josiah got this great shot from the balcony. I'm the one on the far right end in the first row of girls (all the guys had to kneel so the girls could fit!).


I was selected to give the ASN speech. It was quite an honor! And, yes, I was nervous!


After the ASN and BSN speeches, we lined up in alphabetical order to be pinned. We were each allowed to pick up to two people to pin us who had played a significant role in our achievement of this goal. While the student walked into the sanctuary on one side, they people who were pinning you walked in on the other side (the first picture was taken as I walked past the row where my siblings were sitting). You met on the stage as your name was read. The director of the ASN program would read your name, the names and relations of the people pinning you, any special honors you received, and where you were planning on working after graduation. While this was being read, the Dean handed your loved ones your nursing pin on a ribbon. They placed the ribbon around your neck and then you all walked off the stage together. It was a very special time!! My parents, who have been SO awesome in my education (kindergarten through college!) and helping me financially and emotionally, pinned me!







After every student had been pinned, we all walked in again with lighted candles and the nurse's pledge was read. We then participated in the "blessing of the hands" - a special ceremony where a prayer was said for all the students that our hands would be blessed as we give Jesus' love through them. Of course, I'm never one to just be serious. Here I am during the pledge, winking at someone! I don't honestly remember who it was (I know, I know . . . you all don't believe me!).



After the ceremony we all headed to our church for a reception. It was all snowflake themed! Mom, Dad, Josiah, Nans, and Rush all did so much incredible work for the reception! My friend Kaylea also came and she helped decorating and did a super job!


A family picture that is almost decent (gotta love that curtain)!

Kaylea and me - I'm so grateful for her friendship!

Nans and me with our "Uncle" Rick - one of our adopted uncles from our church!

Lauren and Aneysa - one new friend, one old friend. It was so special to have dear friends there to celebrate with me!

My parents mentioned a scripture during the reception that is so fitting as we look back in amazement at what God has done in my life:
"This is the LORD'S doing;
it is marvellous in our eyes."
Psalm 118:23

3 comments:

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Congratulations Jesse! Way to go! You looked lovely and I heard your speech was just awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

You were wonderful. :-D

Mary said...

I'm so sad I missed it! I really wish I could have heard your speech... that's awesome! :)