Thursday, December 24, 2009

Poverty Exchange

This morning my heart was drawn again to that beautiful passage from 2 Corinthians 8:9 which reads,

"For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich."

This passage came alive to me in Ethiopia. We had just driven through Mercato, the largest open air market in all of Africa. Lying in the medians of a very busy four "lane" (how can you number lanes in Africa?) road were people who were trying to sleep. In the medians! What poverty that must be! The absolute depravation that was evident all around was overwhelming to the senses. Shortly after driving through that market, I was standing on the courtyards of an exceedingly plush resort we were visiting. The contrast was unbelievable. I was surrounded by well-to-do Europians and Americans who were staying at the resort. However, just over the back wall of the property, the beautiful landscaping ended abruptly. It was like standing in one world and peering into another. When I got back home, I thought of how appropriately my experience had demonstrated the sacrifice of Christ. He was rich, wealthy, surrounded by the glory and majesty and beauty that was due Him. Yet, for our sakes He humbled Himself and came down to the dirty, crowded, and poverty-stricken world. He lived as one of us, then died in my place so that my guilt in the eyes of God could be exchanged for His perfectness. Wow. I, through His poverty, have become rich!

And that is what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

No comments: