Friday, February 12, 2010

Libraries and 5Ks

I don't know what it is about the library that makes me want to blog. Maybe it's the plethora of written material surrounding me which inspires me to be creative. I love this place. For as long as I can remember, my mom has taken me to the library. When we were little we used to go to the main branch library downtown. It was in an old 3-story building. You had to walk down a curved ramp to the basement in order to get inside. It always smelled all wet and moldy. Other times, Mom would take us to the library on the north side of town. There was a little spot in a corner that had soft foam chairs covered in primary colored vinyl. I remember sitting there by a window and reading "A Boy's Life" - the Boy Scout's magazine. That library is the place where I discovered books about other countries and states. And it's where I found the "Mandie" books. On the other side of town was another library. It was at that library that I remember reading "The Berenstein Bears". I also met Beverly Cleary and Ramona there. What fun, fun times those were!!

Today I'm supposed to be writing a paper about a nursing home for my gerontological nursing class. I've written about half of it. In a few minutes I have to leave and go interview a woman at the nursing home I've chosen to write about. I'm hoping to have this paper finished before the opening ceremony of the Olympics tonight! Our family LOVES the Olympics!

Speaking of the Olympics, I want to train to run a 5K this year. I know, I can hear my athletic friends snickering . . . "She just compared a 5K to the Olympics! What a wimp!!". Well, for me it would be! I'm so excited for this nursing class to be over in a few weeks. Once it is over, I'll only be taking 6 credits instead of 9 and I will have time to go to the gym again! Anyway, I'm planning to go to a running store at the end of the month and buy new shoes and have them help me with formulating a plan for making that 5K a reality this year! Olympic or not. :)

Well, I'd better run (haha, no pun intended). I've got to go to this interview, then I'm coming back here to finish the paper. Hopefully, it'll be finished within just a few hours!

No comments: