Friday, April 13, 2007

It's Raining, It's Pouring, the Robber isn't Snoring

It has rained most of the day and been cold. A couple of times we even saw icy sleet. :( I'm ready for spring to get here and stay here.

I had a terrifyingly (it is a word - I just made it up) funny experience last night/this morning. At 4:13 AM I awoke to a loud bang coming from the kitchen. It sounded like a pot falling off the counter. My heart was pounding - really hard! I was hot because I had too many blankets on and then I was scared half to death because I was almost convinced there was a robber in the house. Only a few seconds after the big bang, I heard this tap, like someone was trying to sneak around, but was walking really slowly. I thought about calling Dad on my cell phone to come and save me from sure disaster, but I was too afraid to do that because if I sat up in bed I thought the bad guy would shoot me. The glow from my alarm clock is so bright that if I was to sit up in my bed or move, you could see my shadow in the hallway. Then I did the most ridculous thing ever (and I've been teased about it already today) - I called out, "Hello? Is anyone there?" Yeah right! Like a robber was going to answer and say (read in an English accent for full effect), "Oh, yes miss, I was just stopping by for a spot of tea and I accidently knocked the tea kettle over. Just lie back down and rest your pretty little head". Needless to saw, no one shot me, but no one answered either. My heart was still pounding. The tapping continued and so I tried to time it. I thought that maybe if it was a consistent tap, it was just a noise I'd never heard before. 17 seconds . . . 13 seconds . . . no, it was definitely not consistent. I put a sweater over my alarm clock so that I could safely enter the hall without my shadow announcing my coming. I crept into the hall and looked around. That's when I discovered the tapping culprit. My brother, unbeknownst to me, had opened his window so he could hear the rainfall better. His bedroom door was almost closed, but not quite. Every time a gust of wind would blow, the latch on his door would hit the doorframe! I was relieved! And the sound in the kitchen? We had some things stacked on the kitchen counter, I guess, and the cutting board and bread pans had fallen to the floor. The moral of the story: don't believe everything you hear or think! Moral #2: Never ask me to make important choices at 4:13 in the morning because I'm not very rational!

Jessica

1 comment:

Strider said...

Hehehe! I just love my bedroom door. Just to let you know, I planned that scenario the night before. I got the dishes on the counter to fall off, and then opened my window immediately after so that my door would open and shut. :) Sorry about the fright, but it was worth it to hear you tell the story.