Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My Feedsack Quilt

My feedsack quilt made by "Nel-Nel"


I've been meaning to post about a quilt my neighbor, Janelle (better known to us as "Nel-Nel" - our next door neighbor adopted grandma) is making for me. One evening earlier this year I was over at her house and we were looking at some books about quilts that were made with feedsacks. Feedsacks were very popular in the early 20th century. Flour, sugar, salt, and animal feed would be sold in fabric bags that were either white or printed with patterns. Women would pick the bags they wanted and try to get enough bags of a certain pattern so they could make clothes and household goods for their families. I love the history behind feedsacks and I think they make really pretty quilts. When Janelle, a very avid seamstress, found out that I really loved them, she set about to make me a feedsack quilt. Just last week she brought me the top that she has finished. The backing isn't done yet, but I wanted to share how beautiful it is!! She made prairie points all around the edges which made it even prettier!



The quilt almost fits the top of a queen bed and fits very nicely on a twin bed. Notice the prairie points all around the edges.

Here is a picture that shows the patterns in more detail. The white squares are muslin, not feedsack. Can you imagine a dress made out of one of those fabrics? The line through the middle of the picture isn't on the quilt. The picture is pieced together! :)

No comments: