We had something happen in our family this afternoon which was so funny we dubbed it "blog worthy". :) We drove to the town where my grandparents live after our early service at church. They live about an hour and a half from here, and it was 11:20 when we pulled into the Sonic Drive-In. Imagine this, Josiah is in the driver's seat with Mom in the passenger seat, then the girls, followed by Dad and I in the backseat. As everyone is reading the menu, Mom begins to take everyone's order down on a piece of paper. We already knew we had to order a jr. hamburer, a Sonic burger, a fry and 2 strawberry shakes for my grandparents. That was the easy part. Everyone knew what they wanted except one family member who shall remain nameless for this post. We went around and around. Everyone making suggestions only to get the answer, "I don't like that". Finally, 30 minutes (no that is not a typo or a fib) after we'd pulled in Josiah pushed the little red button to place our order. That's when the nightmare began.
Sonic Person #1: "May I take your order?"
Josiah: Yes, we'd like 2 #1 meals with just mustard and . . .
Jessica (from the back): No, not with JUST mustard, you need it WITH mustard. They're going to leave everything else off!
Josiah: . . . and 2 kids meals with just mustard and ketchup
Jessica: No, not with JUST mustard and ketchip, you want it WITH mustard and ketchup or they're going to leave everything else off
Josiah: oh, WITH mustard and ketchup
Sonic Person #1: Oh, hold on just a minute
. . . . Silence . . . . then this . . .
Sonic Person #2: Can I take your order?
Josiah: uhhh . . .
Sonic Person #1 (walks out to our van): Okay, I'm sorry. We just got new headsets and I couldn't hear you.
Josiah: Oh, well someone else just asked for our order, but I didn't tell him anything
Sonic Person #1: Okay, I'll get the order.
Josiah: Okay, we'd like 2 #1 meals with just mustard and . . .
Jessica (from the back): No, not with JUST mustard, you need it WITH mustard. They're going to leave everything else off!
Josiah: . . . and 2 kids meals with just mustard and ketchup
Jessica: No, not with JUST mustard and ketchip, you want it WITH mustard and ketchup or they're going to leave everything else off
Josiah: oh, WITH mustard and ketchup. And we'd like . . .
Order continues. . . .
Sonic Person #1: Okay, I'll go inside and total this up and let you know how much it is.
Few minutes later . . .
Sonic Person #1: Your total comes to $32.
Josiah takes the credit card and swipes it in the card machine. Nothing happens. Josiah presses the red button.
Sonic Person: Can I take your order?
Josiah: Actually, we already placed our order, but I just swiped the credit card and I wanted to make sure it went through.
Sonic Person: Our credit card machine is down right now.
Josiah: So what do we do? Do we have to pay with cash?
Sonic Person: Yes
Josiah: Well, I guess we'd better cancel our order.
. . . Silence . . .
At this point there were collective groans from many mouths and mutters from me about how much I'd been looking forward to eating a Sonic burger.
Tumultuous conversation ensued:
"Do we have enough cash?"
"what are we going to do?"
"I guess we'll have to go to McDonald's"
"No, I really wanted a Sonic burger"
"I don't have any money"
"I have $2"
"I have $5"
"I have $1"
"Was our order really cancelled?"
"I don't know. He didn't say anything."
"They should tell people before they order!"
Mom got out of the car and went into the building. We waited, wondering our fate. A few minutes later she arrived back. Keep in mind that by this point we have been sitting at Sonic for about 40 minutes.
Mom: The guy said the credit card machine has been working on and off. It's not working now and they're so busy he hasn't had time to fix it. He said he would just give us the order.
Everyone: What?
Mom: I asked him how much it was and he said $32. Then I asked him if he was allowed to give it to us and he said he was going to.
Everyone: Are you serious? Well, we should at least pull together the little cash we have.
A few minutes later Sonic Person #3 arrives at our car with some of our drinks. With her is the Busy Sonic Philanthropist Man. He says the machine is working again, so we can try it.
Off goes Sonic Person #3 and the drinks get passed out and we determine that although we have 6 waters, an orange cream slush and 2 strawberry shakes, we are still missing Mom's cherry limeade and a chocolate shake. Sonic Person #2. She gives us the bags of food and the drinks. The credit card machine isn't working again, so she takes our $20 that we've managed to scrape together. We start to count our burgers and find that we're missing 3 hamburgers. Josiah pushes the infamous little red button again and tells them what we need. Out comes Sonic Person #3 with the rest of our burgers. Finally.
50 minutes after we arrived, we're driving away and laughing about how we should have ordered more since we got it so cheap!
I'm sure I didn't make it sound half as funny as it really was. I wish you all could've been there as we were laughing about how ridiculous it was! Thanks for bearing with my long story and don't ever order for any more than 2 people at a time at Sonic and always make sure their credit card machine is working.
5 comments:
Jessi,
Well, I thought it was a very funny experience and now we will always remember it since it is in type!!
I also think that the person who did not like anything and didn't know what to eat, ate everything that the said person ordered!!
Life is fun with you guys!!
Mom
Jessi,
Thanks for not posting my secret identity!
Me
Jessi,
Tu tienes pelo rubio.
Ha Ha Ha!
Yo amo tu.
Love,
Me
that's crazy!!!! I love how you guys can laugh about stuff like that!
p.s. I told you I'd comment!
Elizabeth
I thought you did a great job explaining it! That was crazy! Have a fun in Haiti.
Love, Brandy
Post a Comment