This has been my first full week at the hospital. I thought I'd give you an idea of what I do here and yesterday was a fun day, so I pick it as my example.
5:00 - my bedroom is bright; the sun is up early and my room has lots of light that comes in so I'm awake. If it isn't the light that wakes me, it is Austrel (he is one of the full-time Haitian workers who lives on the compound right next door to us) getting ready for his day of work right outside my open window. Mom, please don't get your hopes up - I don't actually get out of bed that early! I'll usually lay awake there or drift back off to sleep.
6:15 - Devotions/shower if it is a shower morning (the showers here could take your breath away - quite literally)
7 - 7:45-ish: Breakfast
8:30 -Head to the hospital and check e-mail
8:45 - Begin taking blood pressure, pulse, temperature on patients who will be seeing the doctor
9:00 - Gave an injection
9:10 - Back to vital sign duty. I do adults and kids. The kids must have their temperature taken and be weighed. Some of those kids are terrified of me!! It's kind of funny, really. Pregnant women must be weighed in addition to their other vital signs.
11:30 - Down time
12:00 - Lunch
12:30 - Heated water and Jacob and I carried it down to the hospital along with 2 coolers. We put the stuff from the lab refrigerator into the coolers and then defrosted it.
1:30 - Started making new curtains for the master bedroom
5:00 - Continued with my reading of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
6:00 - Dinner (it's pizza night!!)
It is very interesting to me how God puts us in positions of our weaknesses. As crazy as it sounds, taking blood pressure has always been difficult for me. I have a hard time hearing the right things. This has forced me to learn how to do it correctly and I've had plenty of practice!! They average about 30-40 people per day seeing the doctors. You can imagine how much experience I'm getting. The other thing I'm grateful for is that I've never really had to use a mercury thermometer, so I didn't know how to read them. Well, it didn't take long for me to learn that. :)
Thank you for your prayers for us. I am greatly enjoying my time here. It is such an unusual and special experience and I'm grateful to the Lord.
Jessica
No comments:
Post a Comment