Thursday, September 27, 2007

Blow-Out Fun!

Yesterday (Wednesday) after school I headed down to Silver Dollar City. My family and Kaylea's family were already down there. We had a fun afternoon of riding the rides and seeing a show. Kaylea and Joanna convinced me to go on the barnswing and it was actually pretty fun (you can see pictures of what it looks like if you go back to one of my May posts). Joanna convinced me to ride Lost River with her THREE times. If you've been on that ride you can imagine how wet I was!! It wasn't really, really hot outside so I stayed wet for a very long, long time. About 5:15 we headed home. Josiah was driving in one van with Mom and Dad. I was driving the other van and the girls were with me. Josiah was about 4 or 5 cars ahead of me and we were going about 65 mph. All the sudden there was this horrible noise that went "Thumpity, thumpity, thumpity, thumpity . . ." The car was jerking around a little and I knew immediately that I was having a blowout. I just gripped the wheel and prayed outloud, "Jesus, help me get this car safely to the side of the road!" I was able to pull the car over to the shoulder and when we got out the back passenger side tire was totally blown-out. I mean, the car was sitting on the hubcap and the tire was shredded. I called Dad and they headed back to help us, although they had to drive about 4 miles before they could find a place to turn around. In the meantime, the girls and I were standing by the side of the highway with messy hair and Joanna and I were still very wet!! Two cars stopped and the men wanted to know if they could help us, but I assured them that Dad was on his way. The girls kept hoping that Prince Charming would pull off the side of the road to rescue his damsel in distress. He didn't!! Although, I did have two very nice men who came and changed the tire - Dad and Josiah!!

Since the title of my blog is "great things" I wanted to mention just a couple of the great things God did for us yesterday:
1. On the way down to SDC I had been wondering (for absolutely no particular reason) if I would get into a car accident. I never think like that, but because I had been thinking that way, I was much better prepared to respond when the dangerous situation arose.

2. It wasn't raining anymore. Just very shortly before this happened it had been raining. On slick pavement it could've been much harder to handle the van.

3. There weren't any other cars close behind or beside me. I was able to pull off the road without worrying about whether someone was going to hit me from behind.

4. I was traveling with Dad and Josiah close at hand to help. I'm often in the car by myself on the highway. Less than 24 hours before this happened I had been out on another highway at night on the way home from Kaylea's house (and anyone who has been to her house knows that you don't want to get stuck on the side of the road, alone at night anywhere along the way to her house - they are dark, lonely highways and dark roads with no shoulders).

5. The highway had big shoulders

6. We weren't headed around a curve (of which there are many on this particular highway).
7. I was able to pull over safely.

8. It wasn't a front tire

9. The spare wasn't flat (and as far as we know, the spare has never been used in the car's 12 yr life span).

I am so grateful to the Lord! Maybe to a lot of people this wouldn't be a big deal, but to me it was another example of the faithfulness of God to answer the cry of His children. :)

No comments: