Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Another Post . . . It's Due

So here's a post from a very overtired and semi-grumpy young woman. But, alas, one is due. I don't know if anyone even looks on here anymore, but maybe it will do me some good to write anyway.

I've been working a lot lately at the hospital. My experiences there teach me a lot and I am enjoying the learning process (although it is somewhat painful at times). I am very amazed at the serious social conflicts which arise in pediatric nursing. Some parents are so attentive and concerned and then others are very un-involved and almost seem indifferent. People often say to me "Oh, pediatrics, I don't think I could ever work there. Isn't it difficult?" It really isn't. The only times that patient situations have ever really made me upset is when I see teenage suicide attempts or children who have been traumatically injured and will never be the same (especially if they have a loving family). It is horrible to see a teenager hopeless. It is also horrible to see grown men and women weep at the bedside of a child who will never be normal again. It's a learning curve. What do I say (or not say)? How do I respond? What counsel do I offer? Nursing is not just a science, it is an art. The art of learning how to interact with a patient and their family and minister to their physical needs, as well as their emotional, social, and psychological needs. But, I love it and I'm glad that I work with kids! :)

In other news . . . I'm still volunteering at the medical mission agency. I'm just about finished with a Bislama Language Guide I have been compiling for a medical trip to Vanuatu in May. I'm not going on the trip, but I've been putting together a mini language book for the individuals who are going. It's almost done. It just needs to be proofed, printed, and spiral bound. I went to the office today and worked with the pharmacist to check in medications, as well as helping to pack some medication suitcases for the trip to Vanuatu.

In other news . . . I drove 30 minutes west to where my hairdresser works and got a trim this afternoon. The drive back and forth was lovely. Although it was a little cool today, the sunshine was great and the fields were all bright green. The cows were out on the hills and the red bud trees were in full bloom. Offset by the blue skies, the effect was very happy. After I arrived home I thought I'd better do something constructive because I was feeling grumpy (even after a happy drive . . . go figure). Mom let me make dinner. I made egg rolls, chicken stir fry, and pineapple upside down cake. I'd never made pineapple upside down cake. It was so easy and super yummy with a cup of decaf tonight. We were all tired tonight, so although we usually eat dinner at the table we ate in the living room and watched an old episode of "Father Knows Best".

Now, I'm just sitting on the couch in the living room. Mostly everyone is in bed, but Dad is painting the kitchen ceiling (such a needed job!!!) and listening to a ballgame on the radio. Actually the game must be over because the announcer just said, "Stay tuned for the Scoreboard Show coming up next". Dad's arms are going to be tired. Our kitchen is really big and he's been working on it for probably 4 hours. What a great guy!! I'm SO blessed to have him for a dad! :)

On that very un-grumpy note, I shall leave off writing! :)

5 comments:

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Wow! Sounds like you've been really busy. I'm so glad that you're working in the pediatric center. It seems like that would often be just as much of a ministry--and one you're really good at.

Thanks for posting again. :)

A. Victoria said...

I an so glad you posted! I will be praying for you as you learn what to say in hard situations at work. Thanks for sharing that. :)

I am sorry you had a grumpy day...could it be because you could not come over because of sickness, or am I the only one that was sad over that? Rotten colds anyway. :)

We look forward to seeing you soon and hope your day is better today.

Love you!

Mary said...

I'm glad you posted! I'm always eagerly looking for an update... especially one like this... about you! :)
I know what you mean about not knowing what to say to some people in some situations. I run into that, too, in midwifery. How do you tell a mother that you can't find a heartbeat? Or what do you say when she calls to tell you she miscarried... especially if it's for the 3rd or 4th time?
I'm so glad that God has placed you where you are to be a different kind of nurse - one who is conciously looking for ways to minister to people! :)
Love you, Jessica!

Nienna II said...

Yes, people still look on here...and enjoy reading it :) Thanks for the post!! I love the part about the art/ministry of nursing. That is really cool...touches a spot in my heart.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've finally see me for who I am.
Dad