I will share this from my recent personal experience in Calvary Cemetery in Queens, New York. You might think that a cemetery is an unusual place to chase a man. But this was not just any cemetery. This cemetery has an estimated 3 million people buried in it. This cemetery is the cemetery when they filmed the burial of Don Corlone for The Godfather. This cemetery is unique in many ways. For example, how many times have you stood in a cemetery and looked at the Empire State Building? Since Mom is very interested in researching family genealogy, when we travel to New York, we end up going to cemeteries. Last summer we visited Calvary Cemetery also, but this year instead of searching for tombstones of relatives, we were going to visit a family mausoleum.
We visited our cousin who has the key to the mausoleum and headed off from her house for our adventure! When we arrived at the cemetery, the mausoleum was in disrepair.
"Our Mausoleum"Our ancestors had paid for perpetual care, so the small building should have been cleaned, the doors shined, and the floor swept out. Instead, we unlocked it and found the maintenance people had left a cart full of their cleaning supplies inside. In addition, it was dirty and unkept. We went to work cleaning and sweeping. My sweet and feisty Italian cousin was so mad about the upkeep and had mentioned that she wanted to talk to the cemetery maintenance supervisor. Obviously, in a cemetery that size it is difficult to find a maintenance man. It's not like they're just everywhere.
"Right before the run"I was a couple mausoleums down from where everyone else was (I was washing things at the water spigot), when a man on a lawn mover rode past me. As he was turning the corner and driving away from me, Mom and my cousin were yelling down to me, "Go after him!!!" So, off I went. Running in slightly wet flip flops. Through a cemetery. After a man.
We estimate that I ran about 1/8 mile (I know the sheer fact that I ran that far astounds my very closest friends) before he finally heard me yelling after him and stopped. lol. It just cracks me up to wonder what he was thinking. Immediately, the supervisor was radioed and when I arrived back at the mausoleum, there were two other maintenance men there (who had just happened to be driving by) and the supervisor was close behind.
So that, my friends, is how you chase a man. But beware, because you will be sore in the morning if you don't stretch out. Believe me. I know.
*It should be noted that as a general rule,the author of this post strongly disagrees with chasing men for one's own relational advantages. :)
And here, for your enjoyment, are three other random pictures of that day.
Only in Queens do you get a $350 penalty for honking. lol.
After our cemetery excursion, we ate lunch at a fun Irish restaurant. It was there that I had the "French onion soup that changed my life".
With my two favorite people: Mom and Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment