I have two books that I like to read from daily during my devotions. They are great works by great men of God. "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers and "Morning and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon. Yesterday's reading from Mr. Chambers resonated deeply with some personal struggles I had been experiencing. The Scripture reference he used was the verse in Luke 22:28 where Jesus states, "Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations." Here was my favorite part of what he wrote:
"We have the idea that we ought to shield ourselves from some of the things God brings round us. Never! God engineers circumstances and whatever they may be like we have to see that we face them while abiding continually with Him in His temptations. They are His temptations, not temptations to us, but temptations to the life of the Son of God in us. The honour of Jesus Christ is at stake in your bodily life. Are you remaining loyal to the Son of God in the things which beset His life in you?"
That is a vital question. Am I reminaing loyal to the Son of God? The temptation is to think that my life is my own and to forget that the glory of God and the advancement of His Kingdom is truly all that matters. Oswald Chambers was right. The honor of Jesus Christ is at stake in the choices I make today. I must choose wisely.
2 comments:
Good post....thanks for sharing, Jessie. It ties in with a thought that I had today and that is our God is an unchangeable God, but He works in the lives of men through change.
Sometimes it is the change or circumstances that we fight the most against that He is using to make us more like Jesus...I'm so thankful for the wisdom of our Father in knowing what is needed to make us like His Son.
<3
That's pretty cool Jessica! Your family gave me a copy of My Utmost for His Highest for graduation and I've been reading it every night since and it's wonderful! It seems to have something almost every day that applies to things I've been learning, thinking about, doing, etc. Sometimes it really speaks to me, and that one you posted was included!
Post a Comment