Sunday, December 13, 2009

Here's to Matilda

I was chatting on the phone with my grandmother the other day and I was telling her the legend behind one the funniest Christmas songs ever. Every Christmas I look forward to hearing this cute song on the radio. Just a few minutes ago I heard my sister yelling from the other room, "Jess, your favorite song is on!!" It was, of course, I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". According to the HarperCollins website (Wikipedia's version varied slightly, but I like this one better even if it isn't true!!), the story goes like this:

"The song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" was written in 1950 by John Rox and became a nationwide hit in 1953 when ten-year-old Oklahoma native Gayla Peevey sang the song as a way to raise money for the Oklahoma City Zoo's first hippopotamus. In December of that year the city received Matilda the hippo for Christmas."

Listen to it here:

1 comment:

Joy Ringnald said...

That is a hilarious song! Jana can do a pretty good imitation of it. :-D