Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sometimes

"Jessica, the 4-year-old in room 11 is throwing up."

"Jessica, someone is waiting on hold to talk to you about that stat MRI."

"Jessica, the kid with the diagnosis of febrile seizures has a temperature of 102."

"Jessica, your new admission just walked in the door."



Sometimes it feels like I hear all those things within 15 minutes.


Sometimes I feel like I cannot possibly please that demanding and inconsiderate mother.


Sometimes I feel like crying because I'm so overwhelmed.


Sometimes I drink lots of coffee in order to just think the next coherent thought.


Sometimes I feel like putting a child's parents in time out.


Sometimes I clock out and realize I just worked for 14 hours.


Sometimes I feel like that doctor thinks I'm incompetent.


Sometimes I wish I could run away and hide.


But then sometimes, I have an 8-year-old patient with a toothless grin who loves Veggie Tales Silly Songs and "Horton Hears a Who" as much as I do. And we have a conversation about frogs turning into princes if you kiss them. So, she paints me this picture as a surprise.



And, sometimes, that just makes everything all better.

3 comments:

Tyana Marie said...

That's awesome Jess! <3<3 Tyana

Anonymous said...

You make me cry at the weirdest times. Like it's 10:23 on Saturday. I should have lots of things to do besides looking on the internet at what you have to say. (since I could go to your room and wake you up and talk) You are a gift and a blessing. Surely the Lord has you near to his heart. Dad

Glad2bHis said...

That's so sweet, Jessi! You're a dear and I'm sure you're a blessing to so many there at the hospital (and elsewhere, of course!)

<3