Some of the funniest parts of my life happen on Sundays. The Kindergarten and 1st grade Sunday School class at our church is mine to teach every other weekend when I'm not working.
Funny #1:
This morning, I was teaching about Deborah and Barak. The kids were coloring a picture that showed Deborah and Barak getting ready to fight in the battle. Barak had an Roman-looking army uniform on . . . with a skirt. I made a comment about one of the kids coloring Barak's skirt. A little girl pipped up and quickly educated me on my error by stating: "It isn't a skirt. It's called a quilt".
Funny #2:
At another point in the morning, one of the other girls was telling me that she is going to be dressed up as Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin for the fall harvest festival tomorrow night. I was being silly and so I starting singing the movie's famous song "I Can Show You the World".
"I can show you the world,
Shining, shimmering, splendid.
Tell me, princess, now when did you last let your heart decide"
Just as I finished singing that, one of the boys looked at me and said, "I tell the girls that all the time!"
Sometimes I could just eat them up.The things they say are sometimes funny, but they also say pretty precious and profound things . . .
Teaching kids in Sunday school doesn't always feel like very legit ministry, but today I had a super rewarding moment. I had noticed that one of the little girls had brought a paper with her. On it she had written (in very cute 6-year-old handwriting), "Jesus loves me and I love him and I want to follow him and be water baptized". She didn't say anything about it, but I said, "Are you going to be baptized?" She looked super excited as she said, "Yes!!". I asked her when she decided to do that. She looked puzzled for a minute. I mentioned that two weeks ago we had talked about it in Sunday School. She said, "Yes, that's when I decided to do it". I asked her if she'd talked to her mom and dad about it and if they thought it was a good idea. She said that she had and then she said, "I used to say it 'ba-ba-tism", but now I say 'baptism'. And I was scared about it, but I prayed to God and now I'm not scared anymore".
May I melt with happiness now?
2 comments:
Precious! I don't know what I'd do without all my little (and not so little!) children to teach every week! I'm so glad you're getting that special privilege too.
May we learn to be like these little ones in their simple child-like faith and trust!
P.S. I missed seeing you at the Round Up! :)
Beautifully said. And, yes, teaching Sunday School is absolutely a vital ministry! I can't count the number of times that I've been amazed at the things my children learn (and retain!) from their wonderful Sunday School teachers. And, it's always fun to hear the comical things kids say! Enjoy!
~ Susie Neiger
Post a Comment