Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St Patrick's Day!!

Can you believe I made it the whole entire day without getting pinched . . . that's a big deal in this partly Irish family. I had barely any green on today. This morning when I got up (and, I should add, promptly pinched every accessible member of my family who was not wearing green) I had barely any green on (just little green lines on my pajamas). Then later this afternoon I had one green word on a t-shirt. Whew. Pure luck that I wasn't pinched all day long!!

Last Friday I took my oncology/endocrine final and then spring break promptly commenced. Yaahoo!! Saturday I went out and worked at Rachel and Colin's house for a few hours, then went home and started doing prep work for the hallway paint job. Saturday night Josiah and I went to our church's college group get together. It was a lot of fun. I wish I'd brought my camera. One of the guys showed up at the door dressed like a leprechaun. He had a auburn curly wig, a sparkly green hat, green jacket. No one would let him in and everyone looked out the peephole at him. He had one eye up to the hole and when we looked at him, he seriously looked like Buddy from the movie Elf. :) We played Catch Phrase (boys versus girls . . . I'm declining to say who won BOTH rounds) and watched a movie.

Sunday we went to see Grandma. She was doing really well. When we got there she was eating and was bright eyed and alert. My aunt was there with her, too. The girls and I were off to the side of the table. There was one other older lady sitting at the table with her. This lady was just eating her food and she never really looked up at us or talked to us. At one point in our conversation with Grandma and our aunt, the girls and I started to sing the song "Sisters" from the movie "White Christmas". During the song I noticed that the woman was looking at us with rapt attention and was smiling. She absolutely lit up like a firefly!! After we were done she started to do a clapping motion, but she didn't hit her hands together hard enough to make a clapping sound. She looked at us and said "It won't make any noise". It was so sweet. I love older people. They say the funniest things. :)

Today I've been back at the grindstone in the hallway. Almost all the trim in our house is painted white. In the hallway it has never been painted and the walls were desperately in need of a paint job, too. In addition, a couple years ago Dad accidentally stepped through the ceiling when he was working in the attic ( . . . I can tell you're all wishing you'd seen it . . . I do too!!). He had replaced the Sheetrock and done everything except we'd never painted it. When we started looking at the project and what needed to be done, we realized that no one even knew the ceiling had never been painted in that spot. :) So, the ceiling got a nice paint job, too. So far I have the trim all primed and painted. The ceiling has been painted. The five doors (talk about a LOT of trim work to go with that many doors!!) have been primed. All that is left is a final coat on the doors and then the walls.

I also started a new Bible study by Beth Moore. It is called "The Patriarchs: Encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob". I've only done the first two days, but so far I have LOVED it. I've done about four other Bible studies that she wrote. Even after two days, I'm thinking that this might be my favorite of all of them. :) If you're looking for a new way to get into God's Word, I would recommend it highly!!

No comments: